Person Accounts are useful for modeling B2C behavior when there is no obvious relation using the default Accounts and Contacts (such as a student applying to your school; or Yelp model)
- Must be specifically enabled by request. Cannot be disabled.
- Person Accounts allow you to utilize the existing Account object to model the relationship side-by-side with the standard “Business to Business” (B2B) Salesforce model.
- Person Accounts introduce a new ‘Account Record Type’ to your Salesforce.com instance.
- When a new Person Account is created, a ‘matching’ Contact is created, but is not accessible to the user or Person Account.
PersonAccount entity has 2 Ids : Id and PersonContactId
- Person Accounts support Opportunities
- Supports direct add to Contracts
- Information shows on Account and Contact reports
- Simple (and different Import Wizard) data import with Contact fields
- Supports Contracts
- Contact fields directly accessible via Apex through single Account instance
Cons (in order of importance)
- Must leave Company field blank during Lead conversion or a regular Account will be created
- DML operations do not activate Contact triggers or workflows, only Accounts
- OWD sharing for contacts is set to Controlled by Parent and is not editable
- Only show in searches for Accounts and not Contact
- Can only be merged with another Person Accoun
- Requires two objects for storage (one Account and Contact per Person Account)
- 3rd party applications